Kate Cowhig International Healthcare Recuitment are seeking a Director of Nursing for the Royal Hospital Donnybrook.
The hospital is a 178 bedded hospital that provides Post-Acute, Stroke Rehabilitation, Neurorehabilitation and General Rehabilitation services, Day Hospital services, Respite and Residential Care services to adults.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Director of Nursing will hold the role of the person in charge of the designated centre approved by HIQA with the responsibility for the day-to-day running of the centre.
- Provide strategic and clinical leadership and direction for nursing and related services which results in the delivery of effective, efficient, quality assured and patient-centered nursing care.
- Develop, maintain and continuously review standards of nursing care at the hospital. Devise and implement programs for evaluating standards of patient care against established and emerging national quality standards and statutory regulations.
- Ensure that evidenced based and effective nursing care is delivered throughout the hospital and that regular monitoring of nursing care is undertaken.
- Develop a shared sense of commitment and participation among staff in the management of change and the development of nursing services in responding to the changing health needs of patients.
- Play a significant role in the development of clinical governance and of quality programs to include risk management, patient satisfaction, clinical audit and outcomes measurement.
- Establish, maintain and review systems and processes for ensuring service user involvement in the planning and delivery of services in the hospital.
- Act as Complaints Manager for the hospital, ensuring compliance with the Health Act 2004 when dealing with complaints.
- Working with the Human Resources in the recruitment, selection and appointment of nursing and related staff.
- Ensure the optimum and effective use of staff through efficient rostering, skill / grade mix, work load measurement, staff profiling and deployment within headcount constraints.
- Ensure that nursing and related staff (Nursing Students, Healthcare Assistants, Household Staff, Pastoral Care, Volunteers & Recreational Activities, Risk and Quality) meet and maintain the necessary contemporary general and particular professional qualifications and standards appropriate to their areas of assignment.
- Establish systems which will facilitate identification of members of the hospital’s nursing staff with both an interest and potential in management.
- Facilitate the implementation of individual development through Personal Development Planning and foster a high level of morale among staff by effective motivation and communication.
- Facilitate the development and maintenance of a quality clinical learning environment for nursing students on clinical placement.
- Establish and maintain links with the Department of Nursing in U.C.D. and other academic institutions in order to maintain the status of the hospital as a placement site for undergraduate nursing students.
- Ensure that appropriate in-service education and training programmes are delivered in accordance with the learning needs of nursing and related staff.
- Monitor recent nursing research and new developments. Initiate, facilitate and participate in relevant nursing research and promote awareness of ongoing and current research into issues affecting patient care.
- Prepare annual financial estimates of the cost of nursing and related staff, including education and training needs.
- Work with the Financial Controller to ensure expenditure is controlled within budget and identify potential for efficiency saving through improved practices and innovation.
- Work collaboratively with the Medical Director to ensure the embedding of strong clinical governance systems which promote high standards of safe patient care based on evidence based practice.
- Support the Chief Executive Officer in the day to day management of the hospital and in drafting and development of new policies.
- With the Medical Director have responsibility for Clinical Risk within the hospital.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Be registered with NMBI in the General Division
- Have at least 10 years post registration experience, with 5 years nursing management experience at a minimum of CNM 3 level
- Hold a minimum of a level 9 (QQI)post graduate qualification in health care or a management related field
- Have evidence of recent post registration/education learning and development
- Demonstrate excellent knowledge of the Health Act (2007) Care and Welfare of Residents in Designated Centres for Older Persons and Regulations
- Show an understanding of the issues & practices within nursing and the wider health care sector
- Have proven experience in facilitating change and demonstrating clinical credibility and strong leadership
Essential Skills, Competencies and/or Knowledge:
- Strong understanding of and responsiveness to the complexities and dynamics of the health care environment, including the important role of clinical governance.
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Excellent knowledge of HIQA Standards and relevant legislation.
- Strong understanding of the process of rehabilitation including discharge planning.
- Good knowledge of quality strategies.
- Detailed knowledge of current nursing issues, both in education and practice.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, written and communication skills.
- Able to present data appropriately to varied audiences.
- Strong influencing skills.
- Commitment to, and experience of, multi-professional working arrangements and projects.
- Able to manage the translation of strategic intent into operational reality.
- Highly developed analytical and conceptual skills
Salary & Benefits Include:
- HSE salary ranging from: €68448 – €76162
- Permanent, full-time pensionable contract
- 39 hours per week
- 28 days annual leave plus 9 Public Holidays
- Professional development opportunities
- Free car parking
- Modern and growing range of services
- Opportunities for career progression
- Easily accessible via Dublin city public transport
How to Apply:
For further information, please email your CV to email@example.com or call us in confidence on 0876797695
REF No: JO-2008-453004_2
Share this Job